(hi Ren…sorry to have to post this pic with you in it!)
the pics dont show this very well…but this space – which was originally the front porch of the cabin- was closed in, in the 70′s to create a concrete and stone floor with a beautiful view of the lake! there were three stone steps leading down to the enclosed area with a railing around the remaining area and a half wall/ledge…which was part of the originally dining room … which the renters were using as a third bedroom.
in order for the space to be more usable for us…we did several things…
1. we removed the stone steps so that we could bump out our bedroom a few feet.
2. (shown in photo below) we tore out the existing half wall and rebuilt it allowing us to build in storage under the house. (notice the doors beside the steps on the lower part of the wall) prior to doing this..there was only one area for storage…the closet where we would have also put our clothes!
3. (shown in photo below) built a new set of stairs into what would become our dining area. since we were building a set…this allowed us again to build in more storage. the new set of stairs have a latch door that raises on the landing – allowing us to have even MOrE storage!!
4. built new railings…the top of the railing is made from recycle studs that we had to remove from the walls… we just cut off the rotten parts! the remaining railings were made using rebarb! again…a super inexpensive material…plus as you know i am sort of in love with a laid back industrial vibe!
after bumping out the bedroom wall – using the 6′ which used to be the stone steps) we were left with a pretty cool wall under the “reading loft- details coming” … since we dont have too much actually wall space…i wanted to be able to have a really cool focal wall. but keep in mind…we really needed to work with inexpensive material…so one day while roaming lowe’s for ideas…i came across lath wood. lath wood’s original purpose was to help created the form and stability for stucco walls when used with mortar. in my case…it became a material used on the outside of the wall for decor!
to prepare the wood i did a few things…
1. sanded the rough edges..this stuff remember is not meant to be seen…so it is poor wood quality!
2. stained the lath wood in 3 colors ranging from natural to dark.
3. spray painted other pieces…
4. then sanded the wood once final time to create a lightly distressed look— i really just wanted to soften the color a touch.
5. picked a random design and began stapling the lath wood to the wall (well…i didnt, this was done by my husband…who also created the design!)
then we added a door to our bedroom…i really wanted to use the old distressed doors that were our wedding backdrop…the photos can be seen on Facebook…at shannon crider langley. we hung them like a barn door…but used galvanized steel poles…much less expensive than buying the barn door hardware!
vintage herman miller chairs, hanging chairs from ikea, a pub table from england (steal at 100.00!), leather director chairs, a super cheap ikea rug, a really fun ikea chandelier, and my greatest find of all…my starbucks sign!!! (a 40.00 sTEaL from Scott’s Antiques)
i still plan to….
1. hang a ledge under the starbuck sign to prop up photos and display some fun “dining room” decor!
2. switch out the storage door with something a bit more unique
3. paint the tops of the steps a dark grey.
hope you like what we have done so far… and thank you so much for reading!! scl.